Thursday, January 3, 2013

But What Do We Tell The Children?





I think about this a lot. What to tell the children. What not to tell the children. Which questions I can answer honestly. Which ones I can't.

And which ones are likely to lead to embarrassing moments while in line at the grocery store.

I thought about this even more in the immediate aftermath of the recent tragedy in Connecticut. I tried to guard them from it. I kept the news off. The TV off. The radio off. The one time I thought it was safe to turn the radio on to listen to music, the DJ barged in before the song was even over, with specific details about the shootings.

N was in the car with me that time, but I hoped she didn't hear it, as our plan was to not say anything to her about it. She's seven. Seven. I just don't see why a seven year old needs to know that such horror exists in the world.

As it got closer to her going back to school, however, I thought of a boy in her class who frequently told her that the world was going to blow up just before Christmas. He's another seven year old. I'm not sure why he knows about things like that. Maybe another seven year old told him. Maybe he overheard it on the radio. Maybe he has older siblings. Maybe his parents don't think its a big deal for their seven year old to have knowledge of the alleged apocalypse.

Maybe I will even feel differently when it's my youngest child who is seven, and not my oldest.

In any case, I realized that it was possible that this boy would also have some information about what happened in Connecticut, and might feel it was appropriate to share. So, rather than have N hear scary things in the middle of the school day and spend the rest of her day freaked out, I told her an abbreviated, somewhat true version that didn't even touch on the actual horror that took place. It was enough, I hoped, to keep her from having a meltdown if she heard something about schools and guns and shootings, but not enough to give her nightmares. And then I told her that people might say other things about it, and some of what they said might not be true.

So yes, I lied. And then I implied that anyone who told her a different version was lying. I mentioned this, quite matter of factly, to a friend, and my friend told me that she hoped I didn't feel bad about lying, because after all, none of us know how to deal with situations like this, and we just do the best we can in the moment.

I appreciate her support. Truly, I do. But just to be clear: I don't feel bad for lying to my seven year old about something like this. Not one iota. I lie to my kids all the time. The ice cream store is closed. I didn't bring any money, so you can't get something from the gumball machine. God miraculously sends you babies when you get married. If you don't go to sleep right this moment, Santa Clause/The Tooth Fairy/The Easter Bunny is not coming tonight.

So, why would I feel bad about lying about something as horrific as this?

Apparently, though, a lot of parents believe that honestly has to be the best policy when it comes to what they tell their kids--even when it came to this. They felt that they had to tell their kids everything, because they didn't want them to hear it somewhere else. They felt that they were doing their children a disservice by not being completely truthful. They felt that, since their kids had watched the news coverage on TV with them, they had to tell them the truth.

Um, I guess turning off the TV wasn't an option?

One of the many mixed blessings of parenting is that we all get to decide for ourselves how to do it. And obviously, everyone has to make their decisions based on what's best for their particular child. I've heard a few parents, however, suggest that the only way for any (good) parent to handle this was to tell their children the truth. While it's certainly their right to handle it with their own children as they feel they need to, when I hear parents of seven, six, and even five year olds declaring across the board that "honesty is the best policy", and "silence sends the wrong message", and "dishonesty leads to mistrust"--even when it comes to circumstances so horrific that many adults can't even wrap their heads around them--I have to wonder where our common sense has gone.

These are our children. Our job is to protect them, not only from things that could physically harm them, but from things that could psychologically harm them. Sometimes protecting them means telling them scary things, like that not all strangers are good, and how to get out of the house in case of a fire, and that people can get really hurt if they don't wear their seatbelts. There's a benefit to that kind of knowledge. And as kids get older, there is likely a benefit to sharing knowledge of other things--even things as horrific as this.

But do I feel a need to be completely truthful about traumatic events with my seven year old? No. I don't.

My goal is to protect her. And keep her safe. And let her be a child for as long as I possibly can.

Sometimes that may mean that I lie.

I can live with that.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with a lot of what you say here, we do have to protect our kids. I also have a seven year old daughter and made the choice to tell her the truth for the same reasons as you did with your seven year old. Only difference is that I fully disclosed the tragedy to her. I wasn't confident at all with that decision at first, like any parent I was worried how she would take it. I waited for any questions afterwards and she didn't have any. So I left it at that. I was a bit scared at that point that I had made the wrong decision until a few days after I told her what had happened she came to me and asked me if we could blow up balloons for each of the victims that died that day and release them to heaven. She wanted them to all have a balloon in heaven. I told her we could absolutely do that. She then followed up with only one question....Why did he shoot them? I told that I didn't know, that none of us knew. She said it was ok that we didn't know why he did it because at least he couldn't do it to anyone else.
    I didn't allow her to watch the coverage of the event on the T.V. because I figured she should here it from me and she didn't need to see all that coverage that first day but we have since sat down together and watched some of the videos that are on youtube about the tragedy. This way I was able to watch them first and see if they would be appropriate. Most of them have been very sad, with parents remembering their children and my daughter and I have both sat and cried together for those who were lost. We went out and purchased some special Christmas tree ornaments, one for each victim and we hung them on the tree and on Christmas morning we had a moment of silence and then we said a prayer for those parents who had to wake up Christmas morning without their kids.
    Through this God awful tragedy, something has happened in our home, the appreciation level has risen a great deal, from everyone. We all realize that what we have we cannot take for granted, life is fragile and I don't believe we are ever to young know that.
    I realize how horrific the tragedy was at Sandy Hook and trust me I had the same apprehension as you about telling my daughter what happened. I wish I could create a perfect world for her to live in but that is not an option. Instead, all I can do is give her the tools to cope in this ever changing world around her. Death is part of life and I have never protected her from the reality of dying because I have never felt the need to do that. This was more than just dying though and that was my concern.
    So for me, the real issue as to whether a parent should tell their kids or not depends on what you have already taught them about death. Some parents choose to not let their kids experience when we lose family members or friends. They keep them home from funerals, don't allow them to view the deceased; when pets die they choose to tell them they ran away, etc, etc. For these children I do not believe that telling them is a good idea because you are handing them a worst case scenario with absolutely no tools to cope with it.
    I do not wish to take away my daughters childhood and I don't think that I have. Instead I just try to teach her about life and unfortunately it's not always pretty. But I know no matter what she will be able to handle it just like she did with Sandy Hook. She is honoring the memory of those angels that have been taken from us...and in her own words...
    "As long as we remember them, they are not really gone"

    I think she is doing ok. I'm pretty proud of her.

    I do respect your choice with how you told your daughter, I think you told her what you thought she could handle. And that's the right thing to do. Each child is different and has a much different threshold than another.

    I just wanted to share how we dealt with the tragedy. I do not feel your way is wrong just because it was different than mine. Just want that to be clear. Thanks for the post.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts Jen. As I stated, everyone has to make the decision that's best for their child. I was struck by the several parents I encountered who felt that complete honesty was not only the best option, but the only one. Period. As it happens, my kids are very aware of death, and have attended several funerals. They are aware that death is a part of life. For me, my decision was not about death. It was about secondary exposure to trauma, and as a parent as well as a mental health professional, I knew that my particular child wasn't going to benefit from that.

      Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment!

      Delete