Monday, January 28, 2013

Revelations...


I've had a few revelations lately, and I thought I'd share them with you.

The first is that I am married to a cave man. If you know Jimmy, you might take that any number of ways, but in this particular case, I am referring to his ability to make fire.

Or, FIRE.

It's his mission in life...to keep us warm. He works hard so we'll have a roof over our heads, and clothes to wear, and food to eat. And then, when it's winter, and he's done working for the day, he comes home and makes a fire in our wood stove.

A really big fire.

As in, from the doorway to the family room, it looks warm, and cozy, and inviting. But once you actually enter the room, you have a sudden urge to strip off all your clothing, and guzzle a gallon of water and/or vodka.

I know what you're thinking, and I might think it was some kind of a ploy, too. I mean, maybe he wants me to strip off my clothing and guzzle a gallon of vodka. But, well, it's not just me. It happens to almost everyone who enters that room, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't want most of those people to strip off their clothing.

I'm not sure exactly what this fire thing is about, but I've heard that other men have it, too. I'm guessing it has something to do with some primal male need to show off their fire building skills.
Maybe, in cave man times, the size of a man's fire was believed to directly correlate with the size of his....um, love for his family.

The good thing, however, is that when it is extremely cold outside, as it has been lately, his fire building skills come in quite handy, and that room actually is warm, and cozy, and inviting.

And everyone gets to keep their clothes on.

Well, except for our children, who are determined to spend most of their lives naked, regardless of the temperature outside. In fact, N, thoughtful girl that she is, is now warning her friends to expect naked boys at our house when they come over for play dates.

I suspect that the number of play date requests we get will be decreasing.

I have also recently realized how much I need coffee in my life, as demonstrated by a recent day when I decided that coffee could wait until I had everyone out of the house.

I made myself cream of wheat, and then added soy milk. Only this soy milk looked oddly clear, and smelled a little funny. In fact, it smelled oddly like...chicken broth.

Because it was.

I gave up on my cream of wheat, and walked N to the bus stop in front of our house. As I do every morning, I watched her get on the bus, and waved and blew her a kiss. And then I waved to a neighbor as he drove by.

Except that I think I may have mixed those two things up, and blew kisses at our neighbor.

The neighbors are much friendlier to me lately.

I also recently discovered that it is possible to fish Spiderman out of the toilet not once, not twice, but three times in one day.

The next time I find him in there, he better have a toilet brush in his hand.

Finally, I've come to the realization that my seven year old daughter is reading my blog.

Yeah. I know.

I mean, just because it's often about her doesn't mean it's really for her. And yet, since I am technologically inept, it was apparently quite easy for her to find--and read--my blog on the Kindle Fire we all share.

She's also, apparently, referring my blog to her friends.

Yeah. Probably not appropriate reading for other people's seven year olds either.

As a result, you may find that this isn't always available for viewing. It's either that, or start writing things that are more appropriate. And really, what would be the point of that?

 If you aren't already, you can sign up to become a follower, and be notified of new entries via email.

As always, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment