Monday, December 31, 2012

A New Year...



I don't usually make New Year's Resolutions.

For very long.

It's not that I don't want to do anything differently. I want to do lots of things differently. I want to lose weight. I want to walk more. I want to eat better. I want to parent better.

But there's something about New Years resolutions that's just so daunting. So overwhelming. So completely, utterly ridiculous.

I also find the whole concept rather anxiety producing, and nothing sets us up for failure more than being completely freaked out that we're going to fail.

So this year, I'm not making those same old resolutions.

I'm making a new one instead.

I'll take each day as it comes, and I will do my best.

I will do my best to eat better, exercise more, breathe more deeply, and yell less. Or at least more quietly. I know that on good days, I will fail at some of these things, and on bad days, I will fail at all of them.

I will do my best to be OK with that, too.

I will do my best to remember that if I wasn't as successful today as I would have liked, there's always tomorrow.

I will do my best to recognize each tomorrow for the gift that it is, in spite of how many things I failed at that day. To remember that if I get to hug my children, kiss my husband, and laugh with someone, it really is a good day.

Wishing you a Happy New Year.

And good days.

No comments:

Post a Comment