Sunday, June 3, 2012

This...

So, last week, I read this on Momastery:

I Think Jesus’d Be Gay or…No She DIDN’T

The post, not surprisingly, caused quite a response--some of it very negative, but most of it in support of its message.

I don't know if Jesus would come back as poor, black, and gay. But I am in full agreement with the premise that, in the context of spreading a greater message, it would make sense. Or, if not poor, black, and gay, maybe an illegal immigrant. Or a homeless alcoholic. Or an incarcerated drug addict.

I'm in full agreement with the idea that, sometimes, we forget that the most important thing we are supposed to do is love one another.


What the heck does any of this have to do with NBO?

Well, it has to do with them because I'm their mom. And they are my children. And if one of them happened to be gay, I wouldn't want them for one second to think that that made them any less than the amazing, incredible, miracle that they are.

I wouldn't want them to think they weren't loved.

I wouldn't want them to think they weren't accepted.

I wouldn't want to them to think they weren't worthy. Of their parents' love. Of their family's love.

Of God's love.

And if one of them happened to be gay, I certainly wouldn't want them for one iota of a second to think, like so many gay teens and young adults do, that taking their own life was a more appealing option than living as the person God made them to be.

This also has to do with NBO because, as their mom, I am always thinking about what I need to be teaching them.

To use the potty.
To say their prayers.
To tie their shoes.
To write their name.
To eat their vegetables.
To clean their rooms.
To play fair.
To be nice.
To work hard.

And yet, the Momastery post was yet another reminder of the most important lesson we need to teach our children.

To love everyone.

Admittedly, this can sometimes be the hardest lesson to teach by example.

It's also the one that matters the most.





No comments:

Post a Comment