Sunday, June 16, 2013

Two Men....



I always knew that I had a great Dad. Although I only had him for eighteen years, we squeezed a lot into those years. And yet, it's only since I've become a parent that I've realized that he wasn't really great.

He was amazing.

He was widowed at forty-five, with seven children between the ages of six months and eighteen--six of them still at home. He continued to work at the fire department for the next eight years, while raising us on his own. When he retired, he worked as a limo driver, and a restaurant manager, while raising the few of us still at home, and being an involved presence to those who had already flown the nest.

I won't bother telling you what his schedule was like, or what our house was like. You can probably imagine. Or you probably can't. In which case, me telling you isn't going to change that. But that's not what really matters anyway. What I will tell you is that he successfully raised us, and while he had the helping hands at times of friends and family, he also did it very much alone. Our clothes weren't fancy, though since he somehow managed to send all of us to Catholic School at some point, there wasn't much of a need for that anyway. I didn't go to school with my hair in cute pigtails--in fact, I was probably lucky that most days I went to school with my hair brushed. No one got a new car for their sixteenth birthday--or--in most cases, a used one, either. There were no college funds, or wedding funds, or down payments for houses.

And yet, we had laughter, and we had love, and we had vacations every year, because when you grow up as one of seven children during the Depression, and never get to go to the Jersey Shore like a few of the neighbors with smaller families did, you learn that family vacations are important. Even if that means that you have to drive for two days with most of your seven children in the back of the station wagon.

Did I mention that this was before xanax?

My six siblings and I are all different to some degree, but we are all alike in the important ways.

We all had the same teacher.

We know how to laugh, and how to work hard, and that, ultimately, there's not much that's more important than family.

I suspect that we also know that when things sometimes seem hard,  we really have no idea what hard truly is.

We also know that life is short.

My father gave many gifts to all of us, and I don't know that there is one greater than the rest.

But today, on Father's Day, there is one that stands out more than the rest.

He showed me what a good man is, and what a good father is, and what things in life are important.

And as a result of that, when the time came, I knew what a good man looked like.

Though it's not always easy to be married to the daughter of a man like my father, my children also have a pretty incredible teacher.

I won't be at all surprised if some day they write about their own great dad on Father's Day.

And I know that by then, they will come to understand that he, too, is amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment