Thursday, June 6, 2013

Are We Done Yet?




It's June. Do you know what that means?

It means I'm done. I'm done waking small people up in the morning, while I make sure that I have a smile on my face, because after all, smiles are contagious and if I'm smiling and pretending to be happy to be out of bed, maybe they will smile and be happy about going to school.

I'm done with that.

I'm done with lunches, or more precisely, I'm done standing in front of the refrigerator as I stare into it and wait for something to jump out at me and tell me I should put it on a sandwich and call it lunch. I've been making lunch almost every day since...well, forever...but I've been making school lunches for the better part of nine months. Peanut butter. Turkey. Tuna fish. Egg salad. I'm sick of all of you. So are they. What's left?

Who the hell cares.

Here, have some crackers and cheez whiz. No, I didn't write a note on your napkin today. I stopped doing that three weeks ago. Just know that I love you, and think of me when you wipe the cheez whiz off your pretty face.

I'm done with finding clean clothes for everyone every day. I don't know why this part has gotten hard, but it has. Just wear...something. I don't care what. That shirt that I said was inappropriate last Fall because of the big open part on the back? Wear it. No, it's not inappropriate anymore. Why not?

Because it's June. And I no longer care.

About anything.

I'm done with homework. Just do it. Or don't. I don't care. I don't know why they started teaching you division when there are exactly six days left in the school year anyway. In fact, I don't know why they teach you division at all. Get a calculator and call it a day. And I'm sorry that I can't help you, though that's not because it's June.

It's because I suck at math.

Show and tell? Yes, you have something for show and tell. You have...YOU! And let me tell you, there is a lot to show and tell about you. Just don't show too much.

Come to think of it, you probably shouldn't tell too much either.

You need a picture for the letter web? What letter are we doing this week? Are we still doing letters? Is it Z yet? It must be Z.

Or, come to think of it, maybe it's F.

Cause I'm pretty sure it's F'in June.

And I'm done.




2 comments:

  1. AH! I swear these last two weeks of school feel like the final two weeks of my pregnancy with Demps. Does it ever end? I've considered just stop sending Lil to school...but alas, then I'd be in jail. But wait...then someone would be making ME lunch....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, you just might be onto something! AND they do your laundry. Plus, no one's allowed in your bed, so you wouldn't have to worry about getting kicked in the head by smelly toddler feet. Of course, you'd have very little privacy when you went to the bathroom, but that wouldn't be anything new for us. This is sounding better and better.

    ReplyDelete