Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Time...




The kids birthdays are approaching. I wasn't sure I was going to write about their birthdays. I'm not really sure how to put it into words. At least, I'm not sure how to put it into words that I haven't already written. But then, last night, we went to kindergarten orientation for B.

Kindergarten.

How did that happen?

The kids and parents first meet with the principal and teachers in the gym, before the kids go off with the teachers and the parents stick around to listen to very important information, like drop off/pick up lane etiquette.

(Someday, I hope they will ask me to speak at this orientation, because in spite of the fact that they discuss it for an hour at kindergarten orientation, and send it home in newsletters, and send periodic emails throughout the year, there is always someone who does not know the drop off/pick up line etiquette. Namely, STAY IN YOUR CAR. What is so hard about this? If you stay in your car, it all runs rather smoothly. Kids get out, they close the door, they walk into the building, and you drive away, allowing those of us who have been sitting behind you to move up so that our kids can get out of the car, close the door, and walk into the building. But once you get out of your car, because your sweet child needs a kiss, or you need to walk him to the door, or you see his gym teacher and want to ask her a question, well then you have thrown the whole thing off. This doesn't work so well for those of us who thought we had a full four minutes to get our children to school on time, and now only have three. K?)

OK, so anyway.

I wasn't sure B would go off with the kindergarten teachers when it was time. But he did. Quite easily, in fact. Maybe a little too easily if you ask me. What, no separation anxiety? No nervousness? No "But I want my Mommy"? Have the last five years meant nothing to you? Thanks a lot, kid.

And in case I wasn't already thinking how rude this was of him, the guidance counselor started talking about how normal separation anxiety is. In fact, its not just normal. It's apparently a sign of a strong parent-child bond.

So clearly, we haven't bonded enough.

When the discussion about parking lot etiquette/sucky parents whose kids kids don't have separation anxiety  was over, N and O and I went to the kindergarten classrooms to find B. Well, after O ran outside into the parking lot and I dragged him back inside. (Apparently he wasn't listening, because that is definitely not acceptable parking lot etiquette). Then we went and found B.

All around us, kids were anxiously looking for their parents. Some were already reunited, clinging to the legs of parents who they clearly thought were never coming back for them. And then I saw B. Sitting in the square in the middle of the floor, seemingly unaware of the chaos all around him. I waved. I smiled. I thought he must have been wondering where we were.

He waved. Half smiled. And went back to looking at the picture he had colored while I was listening the parking lot talk.

"Um, B? You ready to go now?"

"Oh. OK"

He got up, and followed us into the hallway.

I excitedly asked him how it went. Did he have fun? Did he like the classroom? What did he think?

He stared at me for a moment. "Mom. We colored a picture and read a book."

Oh.

OK then.

As we made our way out of the school, I wondered how we got here so fast. Kindergarten? Wasn't I just starting at his sweet newborn face, marveling that he was actually here? Wasn't I just waiting for his first tooth? First words? First steps?

Wasn't I just cleaning peanut butter and syrup off the floor, and wondering if he was ever going to get out of diapers, and lamenting the fact that he was refusing to go to preschool?

And now...kindergarten?

I look at N, ahead of us, confidently leading the way. This is her school, her place more than any of ours.  I wonder when she got so tall. It hits me that she is halfway through elementary school.

"Hey mom!" she turns around to show me something, as she points. "Look! A fly! Oh, two flies! They're mating!"

Mating?

When did she learn about mating?

I smile and nod, and then I point, too.

"Wow. Look at the all the artwork on the walls. Just beautiful".

O runs ahead and I tell him to slow down.

And I mean it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And then I came home and watched the news. And I thought of Oklahoma. And of children who went to school and didn't come home. And I prayed about miracles.

Thank you for ours.

Please work more. 

We need them.




No comments:

Post a Comment