Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Summer Daze...

"Mom, why does that lady have purple eyes?"

We are sitting in the play area of McDonald's, where I am practicing my deep breathing to keep my play area induced PTSD at bay. I was hoping B and O would play while I drank coffee, but instead O is attempting to lick a stale french fry he found on the floor, and B is staring at the lady with purple eyes and loudly asking me questions about her.

We just dropped N off at Bible Drama Camp and have an hour or so to kill before picking her up. Who knew there was such a thing as Bible Drama Camp, right? Kind of makes sense when you think about it. I mean, if there wasn't all that drama in the Bible, what would the priest talk about during Mass?

 I wrestle the french fry away from O before he manages to lick it. Well, before he manages to lick it again. I whisper to B that it's not nice to talk about the way people look.

At least until after they're gone.

The lady with the purple eyes leaves, and I tell B it was probably just make up. A whole lot of make up, but I leave that part out.

"No mom, I don't sink so." He tells me as he shakes his head.

I wonder if he thinks she had a black eye. Or two.

"I sink it was crayon, mom. Or maybe magic marker".

Of course he thinks that, because in our house, if you want purple eyes, you just grab a crayon.

I decide O has licked enough stale french fries and we go to pick up N. We're early, so we walk around the prayer garden outside, and stop in front of the statue of Jesus.

"Look, there's Jesus", I tell them.

O walks up to the statue "Hi Jesus".

B walks up to the statue. "Hey Jesus!"

He then slaps the statue's hand. I'm not sure, but I think Jesus statue etiquette discourages hand slapping. I tell him to be gentle with Jesus.

"I was just giving Jesus five, mom." He slaps Jesus' hand again.

"Hey Jesus! Give me five!"

O is now slapping Jesus' other hand and repeating "Give me five Jesus".

An older lady walks by.

I wonder if it's possible to get kicked out of the prayer garden. I decide to leave before we find out.

We pick up N, and I ask her how camp was. She tells me in great detail about the coconut-zucchini muffin she had, and that the blueberry looked good, too, so she wants to try those tomorrow. I ask how the actual drama part was, and she seems surprised I would ask such a question. She shrugs and says "Oh, it was good".

Later, we go for a walk in the park. The woods are beautiful. We round a corner and two young deer run out across the path in front of us.

"Wow. Did you see that?" I ask.

They nod and O says "That was cool mom".

I don't know if my two-year-old knows what he's saying, but I agree with him.

B says it was cool, too, and asks where the deer went.

I tell them they ran into the woods.

He frowns and says he wants them to come back.

I think how great it is that he is appreciating how beautiful they were. 

B turns to our dog Bella and says "Bella! Go get the deer and bring them back!"

I tell him the deer are far away, and we wouldn't want to scare them anyway.

He frowns again and says. "But Mom! I want them to come back! I really want some deer bologna".


What a nature lover.






2 comments:

  1. You had me at Bible Drama Camp...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay..somehow i missed this one..it may even be funnier than your latest.

    ReplyDelete