Friday, March 2, 2012

But Why?

Mommy, why are there clouds in the sky?
Why does milk come from a cow, and not grow on trees?
Why do apples grow on trees, and not come from a cow?
Why can't we have a pumpkin on our porch for Easter?

Why do I have to pee on the potty? Why can't I wear diapers when I'm big?
What would you do if I was invisible, mom, and only you could see me?
What would you do if I was just part of your imagination?
Mom, do you want me to teach you how to fly? I can, you know.

Why can't I fly for more than 5 seconds, no matter how hard I try?
Do you believe that I'm a real fairy, mom? Cause I am.
Why don't we have a girl baby and a boy baby? Why do we just have a boy baby?
Why doesn't Elmo come to my house to play?

Where does my friend Stink the stink bug sleep at night? He doesn't have a blanket.
How will Jiminy the Cricket get out of the toilet? He misses his daddy. He's looking for his mudder.
Why did God say we need rain today, and not snow? I really wanted snow.

Why don't I have a pink dress like N does? I want a pink dress, too.
Why doesn't O have a dress?
How come only N has dresses, and we don't?
Why doesn't N have a mickey?

Why wasn't I there when you and daddy got married? I wanted to get married, too.
Why did daddy give you a ring? I wanted to wear a ring, too.
When do I get a ring? I want a diamond ring. Now.

How did the clouds get in the sky? Did God put them there?
Why did God puts the clouds in the sky?
Where does God live? In the sky? Or in the clouds?
Do you think, if I try really hard, I could fly as high as the clouds?

What does God look like?
Can we see him right now?
Did you hear God say he loved me? Cause he did.

Sometimes I know the answers to these and other questions, and sometimes I don't.
So I do what all parents do when they don't know the answer to something.
I make it up as I go along.

I don't know what I would do if you were only part of my imagination. I'm very glad you are real.
Of course I believe that you're a fairy. Because you told me that you were.
Do you believe you can fly? Then of course you can.
Just don't try it from the roof.

I don't know what God looks like,
but I know that I sometimes see Him when I look at the clouds in the sky,
and always when I look into your eyes.

Sometimes, I have a few questions of my own.

Who wrote with crayon on the wall?
Why is there gum on your mattress?
What is that on the floor? I probably don't want to know.

Why is there a bag of popcorn in the bathroom sink?
Why aren't you asleep yet?
Did you have a good day at school?

Did you do your all homework already?
Wow--how did you get so smart?
How did you get so big, so soon?

Who wrote with a sharpie on the dishwasher? I guess it's there to stay.
How did this mud get all over the floor?
Did you have a good day today?

How did I get so lucky to have a daughter like you
who is real, and not imaginary
and who can really fly,
And a son, like you,
who's just trying to make the house look prettier with his artwork,
and whose best friend is a stink bug named Stink,
And another, like you, who will soon be asking
Mommy, why are there clouds in the sky?

I will answer you as best I can
And hope you can tell me a thing or two,
like how it was that I got so lucky
and why there is cheese in the bath tub.

2 comments:

  1. Cheese likes to be clean too you know. It hates that moldy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that was the reasoning :)

    ReplyDelete